I am pretty sure the U.S. had a pretty stressful day yesterday, so it seemed appropriate to share some simple ways to be happy today. I won’t lie… I am not huge into politics so I let everyone else worry about the nitty gritty election stuff and I spent my day cuddling my babies, Christmas scent shopping and setting goals for the rest of the year.
For all of you who ended up stressed by yesterdays election or any of you who find yourself sad or blue, pick one or two of these and give them a whirl. I totally understand that it can be hard to be happy…. it sounds like such a simple thing and in my opinion it should be! Putting a smile on your face should change your whole mood but sometimes that’s not enough.
I am no stranger to sadness and anxiety. I would describe myself as a happy go getter type of personality but after my Lainey girl was born my world changed! I struggled with PPD (Post Pardem Depression). Not the its been a horrible day kind of struggle but the kind that you cry all day, lay in bed and don’t want to do anything for weeks and weeks.
I remember one specific day right after we had brought Lainey home from the hospital. She wouldn’t stop crying and after 12 straight hrs of non stop blood curdling cries I literally thought I was going to punch a hole through the wall. I was rocking her in my arms, crying along with her just praying she would stop… My family walked in after a sobbing phone call begging for help. My dad looked at me and said, “sweet heart you may want to call your Dr. and see if she can do something to help you.” So after talking to my hubby and trying all natural alternatives I went to see my Dr. Luckily she got me on some medicine that worked wonders. I Got pregnant with Avery Grace and it started happening all over! I could feel myself falling back into the same dark hole I had worked so hard to get out of. I started doing little things like the ones on this list and along with the miracle of modern medicine I am able to live my life in a happy and hopeful state of mind.
Long story short…..
Everyone deals with depression, anxiety and sadness in different ways, but happiness will always win if you let it. I don’t want you to think that I am trying to tell you that just by doing one or two of these things your whole world will change… But it may be enough to change your mood, which may change your day, which may lead to more better days…. which may end up changing your life in the long run haha.
10 SIMPLE WAYS TO MAKE YOURSELF HAPPY AND DE-STRESS
- Exercise: Exercising everyday even for 10 minutes can help your mood so much. Not only does it make you feel better about yourself, it also release Endorphins… The feel good hormone in your body. Some of my favorite exercises are going on walks, going to the gym and swimming.
- Get more sleep: This one is hard for me, but I can tell a huge difference when I get more sleep. Sleeping longer helps our body recover from the day and repair itself. If I get a good nights sleep I am WAY more productive the next day too.
- Accepting Ourselves as we are RIGHT NOW: Right off the bat this means accepting the body that you have today. I feel like this is a life long struggle but When you love yourself, you try to be the best person you can be in the body that you have.
- Breathe: This one sounds so silly, DUH we always are breathing. I don’t know about you, but when I am stressed out or anxious I find myself breathing super shallow or even holding my breathe. Do any of you do that too? When I find myself skipping breaths I do what my mama taught me and “cocaine” breathe ha ha take 3-4 deep breathes in through your nose as hard as you can. Like I said, it sounds silly but it works. Try it!
- Meditate: Taking even 5-10 minutes each morning to meditate or just be still can help rewire your brain and help you prioritize what is really important. Meditation can also improve focus, clarity, and attention span, as well as helping to keep you calm. Youtube Tibetan Gongs and you’ll be relaxed in no time.
- Clean Your Room: Now anyone who knows me knows I am not an overly clean human. I would rather do almost anything before doing dishes or folding laundry but having a clean and organized room, house or space really does help! It helps me feel less anxious, productive and like I have room to breathe.
- Getting Enough Sunlight: This time of year a lot of people get the Holiday blues… It gets so dark so fast it’s common for people to be lacking in vitamin D. It doesn’t help that a lot of people work in dark spaces. If you work in an office try out full-spectrum light bulbs. We call them HAPPY LIGHTS in my house. Either way, make sure to get outside for a walk as often as you can and take Vitamin D to make up for what your lacking.
- Spend more time with people who care about you: We all have “friends” But how many true blue, will always have your back kind of friends do you have? Spending time with people who actually care about you and your well being is a great way to fill up your happy meter. Why waste time with people who are toxic and bring you down?
- Help Others: This one is perfect for this time of year. There are so may people that need help! One of the most counterintuitive pieces of advice I found is that to make yourself feel happier, you should help others. It’s true… 🙂
- Buy yourself something nice: I know that money doesn’t buy you happiness but retail therapy is a REAL thing ha ha. Sometimes buying a new lipgloss or a new shirt you feel cute in can brighten any sad day.
I hope you have a BRIGHT AND HAPPY DAY. Remember I believe in you and your doing better then you think.
Hat: Indigo Alley
Shirt &Jeans: Maurices
Shoes: Jefree Campbell